Sunday, August 27, 2006

Peeping Tom

To paraphrase George Costanza from "The Jacket(?)" episode in Seinfeld, I say this with a unblemished, staunch record of heterosexuality -- Mike Patton's voice is teh sex.

I sampled Peeping Tom -- Patton's long-awaited Pop album. It does not let one down. Patton once again collaborates with Dan "The Automator" Nakamura (they previously worked together on Lovage) of Gorillaz fame and some other notable artists like Norah Jones, Amon Tobin among others.

If you've given Lovage a listen, then this is similar territory, except it's more electronic than lounge. Although there isn't a whole bunch of vocal experimentation -- as we're used to -- from Patton, there's plenty of instrumentation and other intangible nuances on this album. This is how pop should be, or Patton's way of saying "pop sucks". I favour the former. The tracks that stand out for me are the opening track, "5 seconds"; "Mojo", with a very catchy chorus; and "Sucker", the one featuring a foul-mouthed Norah Jones.

Obviously, if you're a Patton fan, you already possess this album or have downloaded it like me. If you haven't, you're wasting your time on my blog.

No comments: