Sunday, August 13, 2006

"I'm an excellent driver"

OK. I should technically paraphrase it to "rider" because I was riding my bike when this curious incident happened; near fatal, if one were to put a more serious twist to it. (Read on)

So I was on my bike, on my way to work. Everything's hunky dory so far -- fuel in my tank, song in my head, not so busy day ahead. As I was motoring along at this particularly vehicle-infested road called Casa Major, two bikes in front of me parted like the sea in front of Moses. And I heard another behind me screech to a halt. At this point I didn't have much of an idea what was happening, when suddenly this pretty big mass of black -- with a hint of feathers around it -- plummeted towards me. I tried to veer away, but for whatever reason its trajectory matched my path. As it was inches away from me, I realised it was a crow.

Yes, a crow.

Actually, I can't prove it was a crow. In fact I'm not so sure if it was a "crow" in the first place. As you probably guessed, it crashed into me. Somewhere between my neck and my chest. I swerved and I swayed. My hands were off the handlebar, flailing in the air. Meanwhile, this "bird", stuck to my chest, fluttered away. I nearly crashed into a cyclist and almost veered myself into the hard, not so even, concrete below. After what seemed like an eternity, the "bird" slid off my chest. I barely regained control that I lost. All the motorists around me stared back at me -- in awe I would presume. To top it all of it was Tuesday -- a day I consider terribly unlucky (or should I consider myself lucky this time?) No injuries though, but my neck felt like, well, like a big bird fell on it. And no, I did not stop to check on myself or the bird.

Now, back to my knitting.

No comments: